Important risk warning
What is Capital-Protected Investment – Interest Rate Range Accrual?
Invest with fewer risks through a Capital-Protected Investment – Interest Rate Range Accrual product. Your capital is fully protected at maturity and you could earn enhanced returns if your investment stays at or within the accrual range.
Simpler and less risky
Your capital is 100% protected at maturity, making this investment a low-risk one
Enhanced potential returns
Receive potentially boosted returns at maturity based on the performance of the Interest Rate Reference Index (eg HIBOR)
A chance to grow your money
Earn interest at a higher accrual in rate if the Interest Rate Reference Index stays at or within the accrual range
Cushioned against negative conditions
Receive interest based on the accrual out rate even if the Interest Rate Reference Index fixes outside the accrual range
Enjoy unlimited cash rewards for transactions made as a new customer
During the promotion period (now till 31 December 2023), new structured products customers (who did not hold or make structured product transactions during the Observation Period) can enjoy:
- a HKD500 cash rebate for every subscription of any equity-linked Investment with an amount HKD200,000 or equivalent in other currencies
- a HKD1,250 cash rebate for every subscription of any Private Placement Note (available to HSBC Jade Professional Investors only) with an amount HKD500,000 or equivalent in other currencies
- a HKD160 cash rebate for every subscription of any capital-protected investment deposit or any Deposit Plus with an amount of HKD200,000 or equivalent in other currencies
There is no cap to the cash rebate you can earn during the promotional period.
How does Capital-Protected Investment – Interest Rate Range Accrual work?
Simply place a structured deposit in your preferred currency.
If the Interest Rate Reference stays at or within the accrual range, you'll receive interest at a higher accrual in rate. But if it fixes outside the accrual range, then you'll earn interest at the accrual out rate.
At maturity, you'll receive 100% of your principal[@irrahowdoesitwork].
Fee and charges
Generally, you won't be charged any additional fees when you invest in our capital-protected (CPI) structured products. Any operational, administrative and hedging costs are covered when we calculate the return income and other variables of the CPI structured product.
Ready to set up a structured investment deposit?
Via HSBC Online Banking
Log on to HSBC Online Banking now to get started.
Call us for enquiries
If you have any enquiries about investments, you can call us on (852) 2233 3733. Lines are open between 9:00am and 6:00pm, Mondays to Fridays; and between 9:00am and 1:00pm on Saturdays, except on public holidays.
Find out more
You may also be interested in
How does Interest Rate Accrual Range (IRRA) work?
See how Interest Rate Accrual Range (IRRA) may work for you under different scenarios
Tap into the potential of equity market movements and earn higher potential income even when the market is range-bound
Capture currency market opportunities to generate interest and increase potential return starting from HKD5,000
Capital Protected Investment – Currency Linked III
Take advantage of the foreign exchange market with 100% principal protection at maturity
Disclaimer & risk disclosure
- The information shown on this website is neither a recommendation, an offer, nor a solicitation for any investment product or service. Investment involves risk. You should carefully consider whether any investment product or service mentioned herein is appropriate for you in view of your personal circumstances. Past performance is no guide to future performance. Investors should refer to the individual product explanatory memorandum or offering document for further details including product features, fees and charges, and risks involved. The price of investment products may move up or down. Losses may be incurred as well as profits made as a result of buying and selling investment products.
- Structured investment deposits are not regulated by the Securities and Futures Commission (the 'SFC'). The offering documents of structured investment deposits have not been reviewed by the SFC or any regulatory authority in Hong Kong. You should exercise caution when buying any structured investment deposits.
Risk disclosure – Capital-Protected Investment – Interest Rate Range Accrual
- Not a time deposit – Interest Rate Range Accrual is NOT equivalent to, nor should it be treated as a substitute for, time deposit. It is NOT a protected deposit and is NOT protected by the Deposit Protection Scheme in Hong Kong.
- Derivatives risk – Interest Rate Range Accrual is embedded with interest rate option(s). Option transactions involve risks. If the Interest Rate Reference Index stays outside of the accrual range throughout the whole deposit period, you could earn no interest return.
- Limited potential gain – The maximum potential gain is limited to the interest on the deposit calculated based on the accrual in rate.
- Market risk – The interest return of the Interest Rate Range Accrual will depend upon the interest rate reference index during the deposit period. Interest rate movements can be unexpected, sudden and drastic, and can be affected by complex political and economic factors. You could earn no interest return if the interest rate reference index stays outside the accrual range throughout the deposit period. You must be prepared to take the risk of earning a very low return or even no return on the money invested.
- Liquidity risk – Interest Rate Range Accrual is designed to be held until maturity. You should not use it as a short term investment vehicle. You do not have a right to request early termination of this product before maturity. Under special circumstances, HSBC has the right to accept your early redemption request at its sole discretion and on a case by case basis. HSBC will provide an indication of the redemption price upon such request. Your return upon such early redemption will likely be lower than that if the deposit were held until maturity and may be negative.
- Credit risk of the Bank – Interest Rate Range Accrual is not secured by any collateral. When you invest in this product, you will be relying on HSBC's creditworthiness. If HSBC becomes insolvent or defaults on its obligations under this product, you can only claim as an unsecured creditor of HSBC. In the worst case, you could suffer a total loss of your deposit amount.
- Currency risk – If the deposit is not in your home currency, and you choose to convert it back to your home currency upon maturity, you may make a gain or loss due to exchange rate fluctuations.
- Risk of early termination by HSBC – HSBC shall have the discretion to uplift a deposit or any part thereof prior to the maturity date (subject to the deduction of such break costs or the addition of such proportion of the return or redemption amount, which may result in a figure less than the original principal amount of the deposit) if it determines, in its sole discretion, that this is necessary or appropriate to protect any right of HSBC to combine accounts or set-off, or any security interest, or to protect the customer's interests.
- Risks relating to RMB – You should note that the value of RMB against other foreign currencies fluctuates and will be affected by, amongst other things, the PRC government's control (eg the PRC government regulates conversion between RMB and foreign currencies), which may adversely affect your return under this product when you convert RMB into your home currency. The value of your RMB deposit will be subject to the risk of exchange rate fluctuation. If you choose to convert your RMB deposit to other currencies at an exchange rate that is less favourable than that in which you made your original conversion to RMB, you may suffer loss in principal. This product (if denominated in RMB) will be denominated and settled in RMB deliverable in Hong Kong, which is different from that of RMB deliverable in mainland China.