How to apply for an overseas account
Check if you're eligible
You can apply if you're at least 18 years old and have a valid reason for opening an overseas account. Additional criteria may apply depending on your destination.
Start your application
Once you get started, we'll show you how to apply, whether that's online, through our International Banking Centre or at a branch, and what documents you'll need.
Ready to open an overseas account?
Simply select your current location and where you would like to open an overseas account. We'll then tell you the best way for you to apply and walk you through the steps.
Where you can open an account
Argentina, Australia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bermuda, Canada, China, Egypt, Expat offshore (Jersey), France, Greece, Hong Kong SAR, India, Indonesia, Macau SAR, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, New Zealand, Oman, Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Turkey, UAE, UK, USA and Vietnam
Frequently asked questions
What documents will I need to apply?
How much is it to open and maintain an overseas account?
How long does it take to open an overseas account?
You might also be interested in
How to open a Hong Kong account
If you've just arrived or you're looking to bank in Hong Kong, see how we can help.
- Overseas mortgages and overseas account opening applications will be processed by overseas HSBC group entities, and will be subject to the approval of the overseas HSBC group entity where the property or account is located.
- We recommend opening an HSBC Hong Kong account first to have a smooth international account opening journey.
- If you hold HSBC Premier or Jade status in another market, you will automatically be eligible for HSBC Premier in Hong Kong. Your Relationship Manager will help you open your account.
- Credit card-only customers are not eligible for overseas account applications. Please open an HSBC Hong Kong bank account first.
- To open an HSBC China account, you will need to do so in person at any HSBC China branch in mainland China.